Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Not Updating My Git Client Cost Me More Than Hour Wasted

I have Git 1.5.5. Stable release on my repo (RPM Forge) is at 1.7.11. I was trying to clone a repo from Github but I keep getting this error:


Cannot get remote repository information.
Perhaps git-update-server-info needs to be run there?

Took me scratching my head for a while.

The problem was that my old client is too dumb to read the metadata of the HTTP/HTTPS URI of the git repo.  Yes, it sounds like updating the client is the easiest solution. Well, it's NOT, not in my case as I can't simply update the client at this time. The simplest and easiest solution - use the git URI instead of the HTTP/HTTPS. Perhaps it would save you some trouble if you always use the git protocol instead.

From: https://github.com/your/Repo.git
To: git://github.com/your/Repo.git

Enough said!
  • Related Links Widget for Blogspot

1 comment:

Lysender said...

I always use the following format for read/write:

git@github.com:me/myrepo.git